BRIDGE: The Bluffton University Literary Journal
the best young writers and artists, age 14-24
Bridge: The Bluffton University Literary Journal is a magazine of arts and letters compiled by Bluffton University's Department of English and Writing Program. Our publication schedule includes a Spring print edition in May, and a Fall online issue in November. Bridge only publishes artists and writers age 14-24.
We are based at Bluffton University, in Bluffton Ohio: www.bluffton.edu.
Read our FALL 2018 Edition online: http://www.bluffton.edu/bridge/fall2018/
Check out our FALL 2017 EDITION online: http://www.bluffton.edu/bridge/fall2017/
Bridge publishes original work by writers and artists age 14-24. We look for work that demonstrates virtuosity and wonder, work that interrogates norms and assumptions, and delights us all along the way.
- Bridge ONLY publishes writers and artists age 14-24.
- Bridge accepts work from young writers in the following genres: short fiction, nonfiction, poetry, comics, art, graphic novels and short plays for stage and screen. Please, no fan-fiction or excerpts from novels.
- Writers can submit only once per genre, per submission period.
- There are no restrictions on content or theme.
- Work submitted to Bridge must not be previously published online or print. We cannot consider work you posted on WattPad, your blog, website, or social media. However, Bridge welcomes nonfiction previously printed in school publications or newspapers.
- Bridge welcomes international submissions; however, all work submitted must be composed primarily in English.
- Bridge does not accept anonymous submissions.
- Bridge cannot accept third-party submissions. Writers and artists must submit their own work and correspond directly with our staff. Parents/teachers/mentors cannot submit work for you or on your behalf. If your work is collaborative and includes artists over the age of 24, it is not eligible for publication in Bridge.
- If selected for publication, Bridge retains First North American Serial Rights to your work. However, all rights revert to the author upon publication.
- Bridge is unable to pay contributors. Artists and writers selected for publication in the Spring receive two copies of the print issue, and those published in the Fall online issue receive high-quality, downloadable PDF's.
- Current or former Bluffton University students, and the household family members of Bluffton University faculty, staff, and administrators are not eligible to submit work to Bridge.
General submissions are open year-round. You can submit your own work through our portal at www.submittable.com.
Thanks for sending your work to Bridge!
We accept short stories (5000 words or less) from writers age 14-24. Please note that we do not accept fan-fiction or excerpts from novels.
Nonfiction includes personal essay, journalism, and memoir. Prose submissions are limited to 5000 words.
Poetry collections should consist of 1-3 poems, with a word count limit of 1000 words per author.
Drama submissions are limited to 5000 words (roughly 10-12 formatted pages).
COMICS, ART, GRAPHIC LITERATURE & ILLUSTRATED NARRATIVES
We accept fine art, comics, graphic literature and illustrated narratives in .JPG, .PNG, or .PDF format. Images should be high-resolution, CMYK format; 300 dpi or 1000x1000. Vertical orientation is preferred. Selected images will be published in approximately 5"x7" color format. Submitters, please note that in this instance, "Graphic" refers to medium not content. Prose submissions should be submitted to fiction or creative nonfiction only.
Visit our website at https://bridgeblufftonjournal.com/
The Spring 2019 print issue will ship by approximately April 1, 2019.