BRIDGE: The Bluffton University Literary Journal
the best young writers, age 14-24
Bridge: The Bluffton University Literary Journal is a new journal of arts and letters from Bluffton University's Department of English. If you are interested in submitting your work for consideration, please do so at https://bridgebluffton.submittable.com/submit.
Our publication schedule includes a print run each April and two online issues per year.
We publish original work that demonstrates virtuosity and wonder, art and writing that delights the reader. If selected for publication, Bridge retains First North American Serial Rights; all rights revert to the author upon publication
- Bridge ONLY publishes writers age 14-24.
- We accept fiction, nonfiction, poetry, comics, art, graphic novels and short plays for stage or screen.
- Writers can submit only once per genre, per submission period; but if your work is selected for publication it must be withdrawn for consideration from other genres.
- Prose submissions (Fiction/Nonfiction) are limited to 5000 words.
- Excerpts from novels-in-progress must be self-contained and fully realized stories.
- Poetry collections should consist of 1-4 poems, with a word count limit of 1000 words per author.
- While we acknowledge the pleasures of fanfiction, Bridge will not consider it for publication.
- Work must not be previously published in any form- online or print. We cannot consider work you posted on WattPad, your blog, a website, or social media. The only exception to this rule is creative nonfiction; Bridge welcomes nonfiction that has appeared in school publications or newspapers.
- We do not have restrictions on content or topic; there are no restrictions on theme.
- Authors receive two copies of the issue in which they are published.
- Whenever funding allows, we will run artc, comics, and graphic literature in full color. Works submitted in these genres should be publishable in color or grayscale.
- We are based at Bluffton University, in Bluffton Ohio: www.bluffton.edu.
General submissions are open year-round. You can submit your own work through our portal at www.submittable.com. For consideration in our Spring print edition, please submit your work by January 31, 2018.
Thanks for submitting your work to Bridge!
We accept short stories (5000 words or less) from writers age 14-24. Please note that we do not accept fanfiction.
Nonfiction includes personal essay, journalism, and memoir. Prose submissions are limited to 5000 words.
Poetry collections should consist of 1-4 poems, with a word count limit of 1000 words per author.
Drama submissions are limited to 5000 words (roughly 10-12 formatted pages).
We accept comics in .JPG, .PNG, or .PDF format. Images should be high-resolution, CMYK format; 300 dpi or 1000x1000. Vertical orientation is preferred. Selected images will be published in approximately 5"x7" color format.
Bridge accepts fine arts submissions in .JPG, .PNG, or .PDF format. Images should be high-resolution, CMYK format; 300 dpi or 1000x1000. Vertical orientation is preferred. Selected images will be published in approximately 5"x7" color format.
Graphic narratives (Fiction or Nonfiction) should be no more than 10 pages (5"x7" format) in .JPG, .PNG, or .PDF format and adhere to our guidelines for comics and artwork in terms of resolution and image quality.
Visit our website at https://bridgeblufftonjournal.com/